Search #: 495563
Work type: Full-time
Location: Avery Point Campus
The University of Connecticut (UConn) seeks applicants for the position of Environmental Justice Community Coordinator (Research Assistant 2) at the Connecticut Institute for Resilience and Climate Adaptation (CIRCA) to provide support for and contribute to the development of an environmental justice mapping tool, as well as a pilot grants program for community partners to engage in hyper-local planning on the disproportionate impacts of climate change on vulnerable communities. CIRCA is a multi‐disciplinary center that coordinates applied research and engagement programs to develop and advance practical solutions to problems caused by changing climate. CIRCA is located on UConn’s Avery Point Campus in Groton, CT. Frequent in-state travel is expected. The successful candidate’s duty station may be at either the Avery Point or Hartford campus location.
The Environmental Justice Community Coordinator (EJCC) will work with the CIRCA team, and closely with the CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Office of Climate Planning (DEEP OCP), as well as, key stakeholders of the Connecticut Governor’s Council on Climate Change (GC3), Equity and Environmental Justice (EEJ) Working Group, to develop and implement a pilot grants program for EJ community partners; as well as lead associated engagement activities on behalf of CIRCA. Activities will include participating in the development and launch of an environmental justice mapping tool, the development and launch of the grants program, facilitating outreach activities to raise awareness and generate interest among EJ community partners, as well as, managing grant activities, organizing capacity-building workshops for grantees, and reporting on outcomes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in co-facilitating focus groups to ascertain community environmental and health concerns and review and assess data layers for an environmental justice mapping tool.
- Coordination of the planning, development, design, implementation, and evaluation of a grants pilot program for environmental justice community partners.
- Facilitation of an advisory committee to oversee program activities in consultation with CT DEEP OCP and GC3 Equity and Environmental Justice Working Group.
- Develop and implement outreach activities to generate interest and solicit proposals from potential grantees including the development of a Solicitation of Interest.
- Participate in outreach and engagement events on behalf of CIRCA in coordination with CT DEEP OCP and GC3 Equity and Environmental Justice Working Group.
- Work with CIRCA and university staff to administer, track, and report on grant activities and outcomes.
- May be responsible for various administrative duties as assigned.
- May participate in the planning, development, and implementation of grant proposals.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Five years experience in community engagement and/or community organizing, preferably in communities historically underserved and overburdened by environmental pollution; or one-year experience after earning a B.S./B.A. in Public Health, Public Policy, Planning, Geography, Sociology, Environmental Studies, or another relevant discipline.
- Experience in Environmental Justice (EJ) principles and history, through training and education or lived experience
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Facilitation and collaboration experience
- Ability to travel to work locations throughout the state and region and participate in occasional evening and weekend meetings
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience working with community organizations in Connecticut that focus on addressing environmental justice, disparities in health outcomes, inequities in living conditions, and/or lack of political power for communities of color, including Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Americans, immigrants, other People of Color (“BIPOC”), low-income communities, people with disabilities, and other historically disadvantaged people.
- Experience planning and facilitating meetings and workshops both virtual and in-person
- Awareness of best practices for facilitating community partnerships focused on climate impacts on vulnerable populations
- Proficiency in a second language is a plus
- Experience working with state, local, and regional community organizations
This is a full-time, 12-month position. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495563 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on November 17, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Sep 17 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Nov 17 2021 Eastern Daylight Time