Search #: 495935
Work type: Full-time
Location: Avery Point Campus
Categories: Postdoctoral Research Associates
The University of Connecticut (UConn) seeks applicants for the position of Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Connecticut Institute for Resilience and Climate Adaptation (CIRCA) to provide support for activities associated with the development of the Resilient Connecticut project. CIRCA is a multi‐disciplinary center that coordinates applied research and engagement programs to develop and advance practical solutions to problems caused by changing climate.
The Postdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA) will work on a team developing science that supports the climate resilience framework for Connecticut. The PDRA will gain experience working in a research team environment at CIRCA and have opportunities for professional development. With the supervision of the Assistant Director of Research, the PDRA will work to determine the potential impact of global warming on the communities of Connecticut using measurements, data analysis and models.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, test, and simulate climate data downscaling prediction, and evaluation
- Researching the impacts of the climate and heat islands on eco-hydrological processes and their interaction with the community
- Participate in fieldwork/observation campaigns to understand the micro-climate effect on the communities
- Critically analyze results and prepare reports and publications.
- Prepare journal articles.
- Participate in workshops and meetings for municipalities and regional councils of government on climate resilience and adaptation.
- May participate in the planning, development, and implementation of grant proposals.
- Ph.D. in meteorology, climatology, or a closely related field.
- Experience with computing technology (e.g., Matlab, Python) and data management.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience with relevant instrument systems and satellite imaginary
- Ability to perform statistical analyses
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work effectively with a team of collaborators.
- Ability to travel throughout the State of Connecticut and New England region, conduct fieldwork, and participate in occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Available to start work at Avery Point, Groton, CT within one month of the offer.
- A record of peer-reviewed publications.
- Demonstrated interest and/or projects in quantifying the impacts of global warming on communities and people.
The initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of renewal. Salary and benefits are competitive and will be commensurate with experience. The successful candidate’s academic position would start as soon as possible at the Avery Point campus in Groton, CT.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment at the University of Connecticut is contingent upon the successful candidate’s compliance with the University’s Mandatory Workforce COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. This Policy states that all workforce members are required to have or obtain a Covid-19 vaccination as a term and condition of employment at UConn, unless an exemption or deferral has been approved.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495935 to upload a CV, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on January 15, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Dec 16 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Jan 15 2022 Eastern Standard Time